Input Device and Output Devices
Input Device and Output Devices
In this tutorial you will learn about the computer Input Device and Output Device, parts of input device, output device and what is input or output device with examples.
A peripheral device links to a computer system to enhance the functionality of the computer. It is not the part of core computer architecture. Input device, output device and storage device are the parts of peripheral devices.
What is Input Device?
Input Device is computer peripheral device, it serves a link between a user and the computer. It allows users to feed instructions and data to the computers for processing, storage, display and transmission.
Some Examples of Input Devices are –
- Mouse – A mouse is a pointing and cursor-control device, a rounded ball at its base senses the movements of a mouse and sends corresponding signals to bran of computer CPU, when the muse buttons are pressed. A mouse has two or three buttons called left, right and middle button. Now days very smart technologies and wireless mouse are launched, it is very fast and work better.
- Track Ball – It is mostly used in laptops and notebooks. It is a ball which is half inserted and by moving fingers on the ball, the pointer can move and send the signal to the CPU.
- Joy Stick – Joy Stick is use to move the cursor position on a monitor screen. It is mainly used in Computer Aided Design (CAD) and playing games on the computer. It can also be helpful as an input device for people with movement disabilities.
- Scanner – It works to captures images from printed material and converts it into a digital format that can be stored within the computers. Types of scanners are; Hand Scanners, Flatbed Scanners, Sheetfed Scanners etc.
- Barcode Reader – Barcode Reader is an electronic device for reading printed barcodes. A light sensor in the barcode reader can read the barcode and translates optical impulses into electrical impulses to store the data into the computer. It is an important tool for warehouse management and operations.
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR) – it is a technology that recognizes text within a digital image. It converts the document to an editable text file.
- Optical Mark Recognition (OMR) – It is an electronic method that scans the document and reads the data from the marked fields and results can be transmitted into the computer.
- Magnetic Ink Character Recognition (MICR) – it is a character recognition system that uses special ink and character. It is used to verify the legitimacy or originality of paper documents, especially cheques. Information can be encoded in the magnetic characters. It provides a secure, high-speed method of scanning and processing information.
- Digitizer – Digitizer allows users to draw and manipulate graphic on the screen. It is also known as a graphic tablet. These kinds of tablets typically designed for CAD/CAM professionals.
- Light Pen – it is a light-sensitive input device, light pen is used to select text, draw picture and interact with user interface elements on a computer screen or monitor.
- Microphone – Microphone translate sound vibrations in the air into electronic signals. It enables many types of audio recording devices for purpose including communications, must and speech recording.
- Web Camera – it captures and store images in digital form. The stored images can be archive on a photographic compact disc or external hard disk.
- Keyboard – Keyboard is used to enter data into the computer in both alpha and numeric, and input data in computer brain CPU.
- Touch Screen – it is a computer display screen, mouse paid of laptop that serves as an input device. A touchscreen can be touched by finger or styles. Touchscreen records the event and sound it to a controller for processing.
What is output device?
The output device is computer peripheral device. Output device are used to send data from a computer to another device. Examples are speakers, monitor, plotters, projectors, printers, etc.
Some Examples of Output Device are –
- Monitor – Monitors are the main output device of a computer. It forms images form tiny dots that are arranged in a rectangular form. The sharpness of the image depends of the numbers of pixels. There are two kinds of viewing screen used form monitors.
- Cathode-Ray Tube (CRT) – The CRT display is made up of small picture elements called pixels. CRT tube creates an image on the screen using a beam of electrons.
- Flat-Panel Display – The flat-panel display refers to a class of video devices that have reduced volume, weight and power requirement in comparison to the CRT.
- Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) Monitor – LCD monitor use compact fluorescent tube to illuminate and brighten the image on the screen and produce good quality image, resolution and contract level.
- Light Emitting Diode (LED) Monitor – LED monitor use new backlighting technology to improve picture quality. The LED monitor is more lifelike and accurate due to improve contract ratios and colors saturation over LCD.
- Printer – Printers are output devices that prints information in the form of text/images on a paper. Impact Printers and Non- impact printers are the types of printers.
- Impact Printer – The impact printers print the characters by striking them on the ribbon which is passed on the paper. Examples: Dot-Matrix Printers, Line Printers, Daisy Wheel Printer, Drum Printer, Chain Printers, etc.
- Non-Impact Printers – Non-impact printer that characters on the paper without using ribbon. These printers print a complete page at a time, so they are also called as page printers. Examples; Laser Printer, Inkjet Printer, etc.
- Digital Projectors – Projector is a device that connects with a computer and projects the output onto a white screen or wall.
- Speaker – Speaker are one of the output devices used with computers. They are transducers that convert electromagnetic waves into sound waves.
- Plotters – A plotter is an output device used to produce hard copies of a large graphs and designs on paper, such as construction drawings, architectural plans, and business charts. Drum plotters and Flatbed plotters are the types of plotters.
Read Also –
- Learn Generations of Computers 1st to 5th Generations.
- Learn Different types of Computers.
- Learn, what is Object-Oriented Programming (OOP)?
- Input Device and Output Devices.